Thursday, April 17, 2008

YOJ: Week 18- 2nd Bezel is Done!






I'm so jazzed!! this is my 2nd completed bezel. It's all in sterling this time, and I relied heavily on Don Norris's techniques for this one. It's not perfect, but I'm very proud of it. I really feel like I'm getting a handle on using the torch and how the metal acts. The stone is sodalite. The polish on this one is much much better and cleaner than on my first one. Don's method of "fast with gloves" is a winner. For my buffer machine I'm using my dremel at approximately 20,000. I do turn down the speed on the more detailed areas. I also have alittle fire scale on the back, it probably doesn't show in the pictures, it's just a slight color difference in spots. It took me 3 tries to get the bezel all the way securely soldered to the back, I suspect that I burned the metal somewhere in that process. You can see where I soldered (or didn't solder) the bezel in these pictures. I had it all the way sanded down at one point, and discovered I had 1 corner of the bezel not locked down.. when I resoldered it most of the solder from the bezel joint flowed away... I'm afraid if I polish it anymore it will undercut. So lesson learned: I'm not polishing the bezel part until I'm absolutely sure I'm finished soldering in the future. I'm amazed how much I've learned just doing the first 2 bezels. And this was quicker, I took off Weds from work and did most of this one in 1 day!

No comments: