Saturday, February 19, 2022

revisiting a favorite necklace


 Recently A customer broke the drop crystal on a piece she bought a couple of years ago.  She really wanted it fixed, so of course I did.  It's lovely to revisit a piece like this.. I had so much fun making it, it's a old book mark with clock gears.  


It's it's such a pick me up to know how much she treasured this necklace.  I hate that the crystal broke, but crystals are fragile and if you drop it on concrete it's probably gonna break.

I really struggle sometimes on the materials I use in my jewelry.  I have some really kewl vintage stuff that I am afraid to use, just because they are so fragile or easily broken.  And yet the jewelry I could make using them!!! 

I've wanted to use some old Art Deco shoe clips for awhile, but the rhinestones just pop out sometimes if you breathe hard on them.  I've experimented with covering them with resin but that kills the sparkle - or at least it did when I tried it.  Maybe I should try again using less resin, more of a gloss? 

I could purposely break them all out and re-glue them, but that doesn't always work well either, and if the crystals are foil-backed, which they often are on these pieces, that looks crappy.

I'll keep experimenting.  I'm sort of in a bling mood anyway! 


No comments: