Sunday, July 26, 2009

Art shows and new friends.....


Last weekend my art shows started back up after a 3 week break. On Sat (7/18/09) Jerry and I set up at the Art Store in West Des Moines. I had no real expectations, as I didn't want to be disappointed and since the show is mostly free, all I am out is alittle time if it doesn't go well. The main goal we had was to promote home jewelry shows, sell enough to cover costs just enjoy the day.
Sales wise, I was very happy! I actually made some! We handed out jewelry show brochures to anyone we could. The weather was cool, and not too windy, and traffic was low, which means I actually got to make jewelry on site. This is going to sound strange, but from a "boredom" prospective, I either want a really busy show, or a really slow show. The in between type shows drive me crazy.. where there is just enough traffic I have to pay lots of attention, but I'm not doing well so I go crazy. At least if the show is super slow, I can sit and make jewelry or read or something. You know, I probably shouldn't admit the above... heheheh. After all I am a cat, cat's don't do bored well.



But we made crazy profit in one area: we made new friends! My next door art neighbor was
Angela Meijer and her friend Carla Myers, selling wonderful colorful paintings. you can see her booth on her blog: http://angelameijer.blogspot.com/2009/07/artstore-des-moines_22.html#links All the pictures in the blog today are courtesy of Carla.. who went nuts with the camera. thanks for the pictures Carla! Angela's paintings are very kewl, very colorful and like any great art, invites the viewer to invest themselves in the meaning of the painting. We had great fun looking at her paintings and seeing things in them that she hadn't realized where in there. It's like pulling pictures out of clouds...







Anyway, it turned a potentially OK day into a great day, and I hope to see them at future art shows!

1 comment:

Angela Meijer said...

Thanks Kat!!! I'm so glad to have met you and Jerry. Just thinking about how much fun we had makes me smile. I'm so happy to have made new friends.