Sunday, January 9, 2011

Just when I thought I had it figured out...

You know how I said my goal is to list 3-5 new items each monday in my Artfire store? This week it's not going to happen.

It's 2 weeks into the new year, and all ready I am messing up my goals! LOL That's ok though, it's in a good cause. And if you are an artist, you have to flexible!

I've been really seriously studying online selling this week, specifically as it pertains to selling on Artfire.

I've concluded that having a few supplies listed (other than ones I forge or fuse) is conflicting with my goals. One of the kewl things on Artfire is a program where your studio can be identified as handmade items only. It's call Certified Handmade Artisan. You get a badge on your studio home page showing you have gone through the process. I feel it's important, especially in these days of buy/sell, to be correctly identified. This helps potential customers know that I really make what I say I make.

Still as a jewelry artist, I often buy items in bulk to save money, or sometimes the only way to buy what I want requires I buy 10 of something, when I only need 3. So I'm always going to have a few items to destash. Cheryl's yearly garage sale at Artistic Beads is a godsend to get rid of some of it, but not all. (If you are in the Des Moines Area, Cheryl's Garage sale is Jan 22th, great fun and a great way to pick up some supplies at a great price!)

So I've decided to open a second Artfire shop to sell my extra supplies: Kats_Destash . That way I keep my art separated from my leftovers. Not sloppy leftovers mind! I just have lots of stuff after doing this for 14 years!

It's going to take some work to get all the listings transferred from my primary studio to the Destash, so listing new items isn't going to work out for Monday. My goal is to get all the items transferred and apply for the program during this week.

I'm also going to keep my Etsy shop open for now. My original plan was to let it fade away, but after some conversation with fellow artists, I think it's important to keep my options open for now. It doesn't hurt to have as much exposure as possible, eh? So I'll be listing new items there 2 or 3 times a week as well. I'm hoping to get back on schedule with all of these plans next week.

My studio on Artfire however will be my primary tool for selling online. It's the one I will be promoting, listing on my website and blog etc.

So how are your goals going for 2011?

No comments: