Tuesday, September 25, 2007

YOJ Week 39: Fire Dancer (and Spiral Dancer)





Woo Hoo! I'm on topic this week!!!! I've been playing with fire dancer /fire folk in my head (and sketch pad) for weeks now. I keep coming up with flowing, vague flame shaped people. Here is my best attempt in copper. Now the idea of a dancer or a person in wire wouldn't' leave my head, so I ended up making another, only it was Spiral Dancer ( I've mentioned this love affair with spirals right? ) I like them both, but I like the spiral Dancer more.



I'm very proud of myself, I've done my 2nd full quarter of YOJ, and I feel very good about actually making it. Ok, I was late sometimes, and not on topic as much as I liked.. but even when I wasn't on topic, I was thinking about the themes. I was sketching in my sketch book, doodling on my work papers, thinking about jewelry even more than I normally do. This is a fine thing. I can't wait for Remy ( She who is the mistress of YOJ) to put up the new lists of themes for next quarter. And my 6 week break has started, I"m hoping to come up with more elaborate items at least until the break is over from shows. That is something frustrating about the challenge, sometimes I came up with very good ideas, but didn't have the time to get them made. Still a challenge is a good thing, and it's important to remember you can't be "on" all the time, there is always going to be down weeks where I'm not happy or as happy as I'd like to be about my piece. But that's all part of the process of creation also. And sometimes ( like this week perhaps???) you have to let go of the design before you feel it's what you want, to meet the deadline. Letting go, that's a good lesson for artists to learn!!

No comments: