Monday, October 10, 2011

Grand Tour I : Silver plated brass stampings

I'm taking a grand tour of my jewelry making stash, box by box. Some of the adventures I'll be sharing here on my blog.
This entry features brass stampings in a silver finish. Just about a year ago, I really got into brass stampings via Vintaj Natural Brass. I've discovered other brands that I really like, such as Trinity Brass and B'Sue. These other companies offer a range of plating's and patinas. I'm very partial to silver plated. I can mix in a dash of sterling with some brass stampings and create really lovely, expensive looking pieces at more affordable prices.

Brass stampings have been around for hundreds of years, but the jewelry boom started in the mid 1800's.

The wonderful thing is a huge amount of the stampings made in the USA are made using vintage dies. You can actually buy a stamping in the exact style someone used 100 years ago, made from the same tools!

I've been buying brass at a prodigious rate. I started out with 1 plano box for Vintaj, and a smattering of "other". A couple of weeks ago I reorganized my brass collection loosely based on "color" .. ie vintaj's chocolate brown, ox gold, copper, silver etc. I've ended up with a large tube of the "golds" , 1 vintaj plano, 3 smaller containers of other finishes, and a couple of planos with findings and beads to go with all of these colors. If I buy much more I'm looking at another box or 2. Somehow this doesn't dismay me in the least!
Here's a overview shot of my silver plated brass stamping box.

Here I am just playing around with different components trying to find a combination I really liked.I really liked how these components meshed together!
I got such a romantic, vintage vibe from this I used vintage starlight crystals. In the end I used the following boxes in my studio: brass, silver plate; chain box; vintage crystal box black/purple/special; and a couple of finding boxes.

No comments: