Sunday, June 18, 2017

The last of my resin batch

I finally finished up the last piece from my resin batch.  I actually had this sketched out for over a year and then when I decided to get enough pieces pulled together for a pour I remembered this one.  This is the first time I've used resin on paper, and I like how it turned out, so I might have to do more.

The frame is 3 strips of brass that I etched and then riveted together to form the triangle.  I used tube rivets because I wanted to use all 3 corners to attach the chain and a dangle to.  Then I picked out paper to "fill" the frame, a old ceramic watch face.  I felt it needed just a dash of color, so I painted up a small dragonfly and added it to the mix.  Then I poured resin everywhere!  I wanted the resin to protect the brass as well as the paper, so it overflowed the frame.  This is where using professional jewelry grade resin is a huge boon ... once it's fully cured you can saw it!  you can even polish it up like a stone.  So I carefully cut around the border and then sanded it to a nice soft edge.

Still in the future I'll know better how to do this and not go over the edges as badly!

All I really needed to do at this point is add chain and the dangle, but for some reason it just never made it in the "pile" to get finished until a couple of weeks ago.

So what do you think?

No comments: