Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My not so secret "shame"

I have a dirty secret, well actually 2.


I no longer make homemade mash potatoes, or almost never - instead I eat the fridge kind. I know, it's shocking, but let me defend myself!

It leads into my 2ND shocking relation: My family, my beautiful daughter, has only 1 imperfection: the potato gene skipped her.

I'm so ashamed
.

Jerry ( my hubby) isn't that fond of mash potatoes either, but since he's diabetic I can reason it away as it's "health issues, poor boy" No one could blame me or point fingers for that!

I have no excuse for my daughter. She's just not a potato eater. Once in a while she will steal a french fry or 2, but hates mash potatoes. Baked? not on your life!

I have managed my shame as best as I can. I would break out in a sweat, and then make me a batch of beef and noodles with mash potatoes. I would freeze portions of the noodles... there is no point in all that work and effort to make dishes like this without making alot! Mash potatoes don't seem to freeze that well in my experience. I am the youngest of 5, I was taught to make BIG meals. Now that I have a family of 3, I try to cook less at a time, or plan for the leftovers. I hate to waste food, especially how much it costs now...

Then about 5 years ago, mash potatoes started to show up in the freezer and fridge sections of the store. At first I scoffed, but I admit I was intrigued. It made so much sense.. I could have mash potatoes any time I wanted, provided they tasted OK, without all the work and left overs. When I'm making mash potatoes just for me, all that work just seems silly and a waste of time.

I finally succumbed to temptation. I've tried all the brands, and some of them are quite good. Don't get me wrong, homemade mash potatoes will always be better, but 2 brands come pretty close to that level of tasty: Country Crock and Bob Evans. I only buy the original style, I've tried some of the other flavors ( stay away from the garlic, they just don't do something right!) but I tend to stick with the original. I won't named the awful brands, cause I cannot remember the names, but one comes in green packaging. Avoid'em.

I divide the package in 2 or 3 servings, which makes it cost effective and healthy portions.

I still make homemade, but only when I will be feeding more than me, so it makes it not so often.

One of my favorite tricks is to buy a rotisserie chicken, shred the meat and make a wonderful chicken gravy and then I'll microwave me some mash potatoes to go with it. Just for me.. Jerry and Jesscera like the gravy OK.

So there you have it, my secret shame is no more.. I'm out of the microwave mash potato closet, and it feels good!!

Promise, jewelry next time!

No comments: