Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I found a book I hate........

I swear, I will do a blog entry on my big eye monsters soon... but here is a pic of one of them!!
I'm having terrible concentration issues tonight.  I'm sooo easily distracted.  Course when I'm suppose to be doing my sales taxes, it's easy to get side-tracked.

I still need to do IL and MN for the end of year.... sign.... MN isn't too bad but I  find the IL website for sales taxes way too confusing.  Especially since I haven't had any sales to report for the last 2 years, but for 2014 I do... I will muddle through, but I keep putting it off. 

I love to read, and I will read just about anything.  Right now I'm probably most fond of regency romances ( something I've been stuck on for the last 2 years.  Hubby thinks I read nothing else and that's not true, but I do read more regencies than anything else right now.  )

Most books I read I at least like, some I love.  Very few do I loath... unfortunately I have another to add to that very short list. 

I picked up a book by Jane Feather.  I've read a few of her books, most have been ok, one I really liked.  so when I see her on the dollar racks at the half price books stores I'm gonna add it to the pile.  This one is called "Vanity"

I cannot recommend it, I loath it, I couldn't finish it.  Within the first 40 pages in the book ( and if you, despite my words, want to read it and don't what to know what happens, don't read the next part)


the hero lies, abducts, drugs her and rapes her.... yet by the end of the book they are a happy married couple.

I'm sorry, but that's not right.  What kind of message does that send to young girls? what kind of example is that?? our culture is so messed up on rape to begin with, and this kind of stuff just feeds into it.

Imagine someone you know, say, YOUR DAUGHTER , tells you on the first date her now hubby rapes her, but since they fall in love afterwards it's ok.

I know , it's fiction, not real life, but there are some lines I cannot cross.  And I don't have too.  I did skip around in it to see if at anytime the hero shows remorse, but it must have been a quick scene cause I didn't find it ( I went up to good reads and from the reviews there, he doesn't really seem sorry.  why should he? he gets the girl, the earldom and riches... by raping her.  what's to be sorry about for from his view point?? What I find chilling is how many reviews didn't seem to find this objectionable... since he didn't slap her around and did it so it was "pleasurable" it's ok??? )

This book will not be finding itself on my bookcase.  I usually pass on my romance books to my Mom to read, and I'm seriously considering whether I should inflict it on her or not. 

In fact, I'm going to be leery of reading books by her in the future. 

by the way, my loath list is 4 books long. (well two of the loath books are series, so it guess I probably don't like any of those series, but since I couldn't finished the 1st book in them, I'm sure as heck not gonna go seeking the rest)

sign.  Back to taxes....

1 comment:

Shai Williams said...

I remember when it seemed as though all the romance books had a 'pleasurable' rape as part of the storyline. Never understood that so it really turned me off of romance novels for about twenty years.