Sunday, February 8, 2015

Big Eye Monster pendants Part I

Me in the designing process... trying to decide what goes with what.   I love those vintage crystals you see here, but I didn't end up using any this time around.  Maybe next time.
 I bought these great class cab eyes some time ago, maybe last summer?  Anyway, I fell in love with them on Etsy and had to buy a few but at the time I didn't have any (time ) and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them, other than own them.  I bought 5 of them in the larger size and a matching pair, thinking earrings.. so 7 cabs total.  So Enter wintertime and Kat actually has time to breath, clean her kitchen and actually make stuff!!

I participate almost every week in Wednesday worktable & Finish it up Friday at B'Sue's Creative group on Facebook.  I find it a very useful exercise to help me focus on actually making something every week and it's fun to see what everyone else is doing. 


I'm really getting into more bling... and I love the rhinestone chain (it's called cup chain). 
 So while I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do that week, I ran across the eyes in the stash, and I thought, "hey, I really ought to make something with these"

I figured I make 2-3 pieces now, and put the eyes away for another day.

Didn't turn out that way.  Once I sat down and starting to play around, combining pieces and through in some vintage parts I just couldn't stop myself.
One of the finished monsters.  The drop crystal is a vintage charm off a vintage charm bracelet.  the charms on the bracelet were icky-scary, but the faux pearls and crystals where the bomb.
 I ended up using every eyeball I had, and wished for more!

The rest of the week I'll be showing you my Big Eye monsters up close .  This guy is on a old clock gear, has wings and a vintage drop crystal from a old charm bracelet I cut up. 

The charms off the bracelet are kind of ugly, and poorly made.. some of the touristy crap they probably sold in the 50's and early 60's.  But it had drop crystals like this, and really lovely faux pearls drops that I adore, so it was worth it for them!

I riveted the bezel and wings onto the gear and also supplemented with glue ( I think, I used glue and rivets on some of them, and just rivets on others).  You can really see in this picture the detail in the eyeball.  If you are curious, I got the eye cabs at Etsy, seller Nixcreations

No comments: