Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Goodbye Jupiter (2000 - 2017)

Recent photo of Jupiter, sleeping in the bathroom, one of his favorite hunts.
 We lost one of the best kitties ever this weekend, Jupiter, Jumpin' Jupiter, Old Man, My Good Guy, Jup-ie, Jup, and my bigboy... all the names I called him.

He was pretty mellow as a cat, at least in contrast to the other nut jobs we have right now.  When healthy, Jupiter weighted 18 or more pounds, and he wasn't fat.. he just was a big, well proportioned cat.   He had the longer head/nose like a Egyptian statue, I always loved that.  he adored being held, he loved tummy rubs, and basically being pet everywhere and anywhere.  When he was about 3 years old, we had a bat in the house.. he jumped up and caught it-- then dropped it.  I think he was as surprised as we where he jumped up 7 feet to catch the damn thing.  He was smart too.. the only cat in the household that could open some of the doors.  (thank goodness!!! )   He had the best meow I have ever heard, and he had a large variety of them.  He would talk to you.  His purr could shake the floorboards. 

I could go on and on, but it still makes me cry to think about him too much.  I just try to keep in mind he had a good, long life, 17-1/2 years is a pretty good run.  He was doing OK until just the last couple of months, he really seemed to slow down but didn't seem to be in any pain or anything.  He just didn't move as much, and when he did he moved slower.   Since he was 17 years old, we just though age was finally catching up to him.   (his sister Jezzibel is much slower than she used to be as well)

Friday he started to act like he didn't feel well, and he had sores in his mouth.  He refused to eat - by Saturday afternoon he refused to drink water.  Sunday we took him into the vet, and they said it was probably renal failure.. and there really wasn't much they could do at his age and stage of condition.

So we made the decision to put him to sleep.  It's always one of the hardest things you have to do in this life, make a decision about one of your best buddies... but it comes down to quality of life and length of life... and dignity.


Rest in peace my big boy.
Taken 4ish years ago, the rare photo showing all 4 cats in the house, starting from the left: Jupiter, Kass, Jezzibel.  On top is Kya.

Jezzibel with her brother Jupiter.  Probably 10 years ago.

1 comment:

CraftyHope said...

I'm so very sorry. I understand that tough decision completely. I'm sure he will be missed, but it also sounds like he was loved thoroughly!