Sunday, November 21, 2010

The goal today....

is to make some glass cabs and glass donuts. I actually have a commission to make a donut, it's just well, this week hasn't been a happy week for the BarronMillers you know? Anyway, The top picture is the kiln table. The purple stuff is mold release in frit molds that are drying. The release keeps glass from sticking to the ceramic molds. It should dry for at least 24 hours before using them in the kiln.
This picture is one of my candy corn cabs that had a bad spot. Sometimes the top layer of glass goes frosty and scummy. It's not easy to fix, as the chemistry of the glass has actually changed in that spot. The best method I've found so far is lightly sand or grind down the spot, clean really really good, and then re-fire with alittle frit on top and hopefully the ugly stuff goes away. Doesn't always work. You can use a glue to gently hold the frit in place, which also has to dry, which is what is going on here.
These are glass shards from a glass blower's studio. I love to incorporate these into my designs! Some of my best cabs have bits of this in them.

No comments: