Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I wasn't going to blog today but now I have too.. love is love is love

Very busy getting ready for the biggest art show in Iowa, Artfest this weekend, so I was going to skip blogging today. 

But I can't not talk about the Supreme Court's ruling on DOMA today.  If you don't believe homosexuals deserve all the same rights and privileges and obligations  of "straight" people, then stop reading this, because I do.

I have never, ever understood why anyone objected to gay marriage.  If you ask someone point blank why they do object the best you can  get out of them is a stammered religious objection. 

If you ask that same person if they feel homosexuals are real people they declare of course they are ( at least in public)

But how illogical is it to deny gay people the right to marry if they are just as good as us? (us as in straight people I guess.  Us is such a swishy-washy word... it can mean soooo many things.  If I am to be in an us, I want to be in the us of kewl, tolerant people, gay or straight, black, white, or polka-dotted who don't give a damn if you love the same sex, cause love is love is love)

I don't understand how people can say there is nothing wrong with gay people but they can't marry.  There is just no logic to that.  It makes you suspect they do think something is wrong with gay people.

I don't understand people who say there is something wrong with gay people for that matter!

That's right up there with only 2 blue eyed people should marry, or be of the same race.  It's silly.  Stupid.  Irrational. 

Love is Love is Love.  I don't care what package it comes in, as long as I get mine. 

I am straight.   I'm very happily married to the same man, my Jerry, for almost 19 years.  Jerry wasn't really my type at first glance.. I always went for really skinny tal1 6ft guys with blue eyes.  ... but something about Jerry was magical.   He has these lovely dark brown eyes and dimples.  He's taller than me, but just average male height.   Those first heady weeks after we met we only talked on the phone to each other.. for hours at a time.  I knew he was the one by the 5th time I was in his actual presence again. 

Because he's a guy and I'm a gal, we were able to get married and start a family,  socially and legally approved by all.

   I can't imagine the pain I would feel if irrational people kept me from marrying the man I love because we were gay, or he had brown eyes and I have blue.  Just think how you would feel if some small, outward characteristic prevented you from all the legal protections marriage can bestow on a couple.. on a family.

Cause in my brain that is the same sort of stupidity preventing gay marriage.  Gay folks are just like everyone else.. some are good, some are bad, all are just as human.  Logically they shouldn't be treated any differently than I am in any situation--- job, marriage, as a parent, as a dog owner!!

To think anything else is just wrong.  Just wrong!  I try to be tolerant of other people's beliefs, but when it hurts people like this, when religion tells you it's OK to treat people as 2nd class citizens that just wrong.


wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong











1 comment:

Sarah Sequins said...

Kat, thank you for posting this!!!

You rock. <3